Saturday, October 29, 2011

October Featured Artist: Shari Sikora

Great Florist - Terrible Blogger....but as I catch up and try to my posts I am pouring over the gorgeous images that photographers have so graciously emailed me I don't think I have taken the time to brag about the local artists that I like to include in my designs. So let me take a moment and introduce Clay Artist Shari Sikora.
Her artist statement starts out "I am an artist; it’s not what I do, but simply who I am and always have been." and it is so true. What she "Does" and how I met her is via Valley Press Inc. (a family owned custom pre-press, printing and finishing company I use in Bala Cynwd, PA. where she creates amazing designs and keeps me coming back because she reads my mind - especially when I lose my nouns.)

But I digress! Here is what she really does...

What she is, is an amazing artist who creates wonderful pieces in clay & uses the Raku method of firing. Ironically Raku means "enjoyment" or "ease" - which fits in perfectly since she says that "from the first day she touched clay she loved it."
You have seen her work in a number of shots (courtesy of AMC) where I used her fridge magnets as place setting decor. I have pretty much stalked her shows to purchase all the teal and gold flower button magnets. Each one is unique with vintage button centers she has lovingly selected from her mother's extensive (and I mean huge yet meticulously organized) collection. In addition to the local craft shows, you can see Shari's work regularly at the Potters Guild as well as Earth & State in Media, PA.

Support local art! Buy some pottery today!

No comments: